Tuesday, February 10, 2015

BACHELOR CHOW 101: MAKIN' STEAK 'N' TATERS

Sometimes I even cook at home...  And since I don't have kids, I eat steak!  Yeah, man, good ol' steak 'n' taters, with a side of broccoli.  I love it, and I've got a special method of doing this meal that is easy-peasy, though slightly dangerous as fuck, so y'know,  don't follow these instructions! Unless you're as stupid as I am...

FIRST: You will need:

1) A potato
2) A piece of steak
3) Frozen Broccoli Florets
3) Salt
4) Pepper
5) Olive Oil
6) Butter

Here are 3 of the ingredients you will need.
FYI:  My best friend in this whole world is a toaster oven.  I love it, it loves me.  Like Dr. Who, every once in a while it dies, and is reborn, looking different, more modern, and more powerful than ever, but remaining my bestie.

TIP: Salt and pepper your steak while it's still raw, and leave it out for a bit, so that it warms to room temperature.

NEXT: You will need to...

1) Cover your toaster oven tray in tin-foil...
2) Then pour a thin layer of olive oil on it
3) Chop-up your tater into reasonable sized pieces
4) Spread 'em out on the tray
5) Add salt and pepper

NOTE: EVERY TOASTER OVER IS DIFFERENT

SO: You will need to figure yours out for yourself.  I set mine on "toast" for ten minutes, then flip all the taters and toast them again for ten more minutes.  I know that my taters are going to take 20 minutes every time, so I time everything else accordingly.  Knowmsayin'?  You figure your toaster over / potato sitch out, and you'll have a time frame to work with.

Red skin potatoes work particularly well with the toaster oven method.
IN THE MEANTIME: 

1) Put about 1/8 inch of water into the bottom of a small sauce pan
2) Put in some frozen broccoli florets
3) Place a decent-sized pad of butter on top of the florets
4) Cover
5) Place on medium-to-low flame

My friend Joe the vegan told me "Stu, it's ok to eat frozen vegetables," so I do.
NEXT:

Place four pads of butter (or more) into a medium sized frying pan

More butter = more better.
THEN:

Get all your muhfuckin' burners goin', Yo!

• Borocolli covered on low
• Frying pan of butter on medium
• Open burner on high

Danger. It's what's for dinner.
NOW DO THIS:


AND THIS:



FUCK YES!

Sizzle the shizzle outta that betch.
By the time you transfer the meat into the pan, your butter should already be hotter than fuck.  For a thick steak like the one pictured, I'll sear each side for three mins, and then turn the heat way down and cook each side for another 7 minutes.

Be sure to turn your oven fan on or your fire alarms are likely to go off!  True story...ies.
IF YOU DO IT RIGHT...

• Your taters are crispy on the outside and thoroughly cooked inside.
• Your broccoli is hot, and soft, but not mushy
• Your steak is seared to perfection on the outside, and pink-to-red on the inside, depending on how you like it.

TIP:  Be sure to let your steak sit for a minute or two before you cut into it.  That will help it stay juicy while you eat it, and also help the flavor settle down a bit as it cools slightly.

Even at home, I try to make things look nice when I have time.  Other times, I eat straight out of the pans.
EXTRAS:

• I added a little shredded cheddar cheese to the broccoli and...

• I made my own steak sauce out of organic catchup and balsamic vinegar

That shit was fuckin' goood, Yo!
### END ###

1 comment:

  1. I hope it won't ruin your appetite if I tell you I've done the same with tempeh and tofu, pepper, and lots of toast. I used to have a "toaster" that sat on top of the burner to hold the toast and we put all kinds of food on it to toast/grill

    ReplyDelete